Today, Shibata Kanjuro bow shop is the only bow store that continues to make Kyoto bows. The origin of the Kyoto bow dates back to the Warring States period in 1534. The first head of the family served the Satsuma clan as an archer, and from there he moved to Kyoto to serve the Tokugawa clan, where he was given the title of “Onyumishi” (royal bow manufacturer and archer). His name spread so widely that there is a rumour that the bow was used by Nobunaga Oda against the forces of Mitsuhide Akechi in the Honnoji Incident was the Kanjuro Shibata’s bow. In 1889, Kanjuro Shibata was appointed by the Imperial Household Agency, and he also produced the sacred treasures for the “Shikinen Sengu” ceremony held every 20 years at the Ise Jingu Shrine. Today, the 21st generation of the Kanjuro family continues preserve the name of the Kanjuro, and in 2013, 59 Azusa Yumi bows were delivered to the shrine.